Friday 24 August 2012

A brief introduction.

Ever since I saw a football, I wanted to kick it. Ever since I saw a televised match, I wanted to follow it. Ever since I read about football, I wanted to write about it. All my favorite memories stem from football, all my best personal relationships are somehow based in football. Football - for all the weekly headaches and bruised-hands-from-thumping-nearby-objects - has brought me joy like no other.
When asked my religion I reply cheekily with football. At least it seems cheeky until one takes notice of my weekly / daily rituals, the time spent on my knees pleading with gaffers and "Special Ones" & the "Plato's cave" devotion to take note that it is in fact a religion to me.
During my undergraduate "career" I tricked my school paper into letting me be the sports' editor for the single purpose of pumping out a weekly half-page column, evicting the inner-cerebral-rumblings of a footy-mad brain. It was entitled "From the Offside Position". It has been several years, but I believe it is time to dust it off, spray any "knocks" and send it in for extra-time.

This is it - standing about a yard offside, hands-on-its-hips, glaring intently at "the rest" for not "being on the same wavelength". Picture a literary Inzaghi.

I follow the EPL, La Liga, Bundasliga & the Champions' League. I have an admitted passionate preference towards Man United, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund & all Polish-born players. I like to think I provide a well-rounded opinion, but I have been known to get preachy in a fire-and-brimstone persuasion when I feel one of my teams or players have been wronged. Oh, and I really hate Manchester City.   
Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Such an impassioned writer. Love it! Keep it up! I'll be reading. :)

    ReplyDelete